HMS Queen Mary
HMS Queen Mary was the last Battle-cruiser built for the Royal Navy before the start of WW1. She was sole member of her class though shared many characteristics with the Lion Class including her eight 13.5-inch (343 mm) guns. She was completed in 1913 and joined the Grandfleet in 1914. She participated in the Battle of Heligoland Bight as part of the 1st Battle cruiser Squadron
Later that year Queen Mary attempted to intercept a German force that bombarded the North coast towns of Scarborough, Whitby and Hartlepool in December 1914, but was unsuccessful arriving in the area as the German ships were putting into their home port.
The ship was refitting in early 1915 and so missed the Battle of Dogger Bank in January, but rejoined the fleet in time for the largest fleet action of the war, the Battle of Jutland 31st May-1st June 1916.
She was hit twice by German battlecruiser Derfinger during the early part of the battle penetrating her thin deck armour and magazines, which exploding, destroyed the entire ship and killing nearly all her crew.