The Bedford OYD was introduced in 1939. It was based on Bedford's O-series commercial vehicles with a modified front end and single rear tyres. It was designed for a 3-ton payload. The OYD was the general service vehicle, but other versions existed such as the OYC a tanker version for carrying water or petrol. These vehicles were widely used during and after WW II.